Ludo is a board game which I played as a kid. Recently Kavya and I began playing on the phone. Initially, it was just to rekindle those old memories but gradually it has become an addiction as we play a game every night. Since it is a program, we can’t cheat and it is fun.
Historically or should I say mythologically, kingdoms / whatever have been lost thanks to this game.
But is it only fun? I learnt some life lessons from this game.
- Everyone begins equal. We all have to wait for our turn when the die shows up 6 so that we can begin our move. In life, we all have come into this world with nothing. Will take nothing with us. Just wait for the right moment to move and enjoy.
- Never give up – You may start late or maybe the last one to get a six and move but remember it’s not over till it’s over. You will get ample chances to change the course of the game just as you will in life. The opera isn’t over until the fat lady sings.
- To win doesn’t mean that you just move ahead. You also have to attack the opponents. Remember if you don’t attack, doesn’t mean they won’t attack you. Life is like that. Just because you are a vegetarian doesn’t mean a lion won’t eat you. Be alert and be prepared at all times. Go for the kill as needed.
- Play to win. Kavya often plays with her cousins and when someone is to attack the emotional blackmail starts – will you do this to your brother/sister? There are no mercies in life. We all have to play to win. Life is a bitch so get ready to fight back.
- Strategise – Like the earlier point, play to win. Work on a strategy as you play. And it is not static. You will have to keep altering your strategy along the way so be dynamic. Life is like that. You keep the end goal in mind but you change the course along the way to ensure that you reach your end goal.
- Don’t look down upon others – You may be the first to move out but doesn’t mean the last mover is at a disadvantage. Strategies may differ and luck may not favour you. You could be in a winning position yet end up losing. Such is life. You never know when life could turn the tables on you.
- Watch out – It is not a bed of roses. Just be on the lookout for the other players on the prowl. You never know when who will attack so be prepared at all times. Life is like that too.
Every game is an enjoyable journey and has its twists and turns just like life. So enjoy the journey.